Sunday, July 18, 2010

Enlightening and Humbling

I've always thought that it was very important personally, to keep up with technology and not be left in the dust of the next technological advance. Watching some of the Did You Know supplementary videos knocked my socks off. I'm no where up to par. Is it harder to learn and understand all that continues to exponentially develop as we grow older? I'd like to believe that I try my darnedest to grasp as much as I can.

What I now need to acknowledge is that the "front of the room instruction" that I received as a college student in the 70's is not what will embrace students today.

I was hired to teach part-time in the Health Occupations Division, on the strength of 38 years of experience and loads of hands-on knowledge with respect to training an ever-volatile third shift staff in a laboratory. However, this longevity has not fully prepared me for the educational responsibility I have here at MATC.

Wow...lots to learn!!!!!!!! and lovinit

3 comments:

  1. You sound like a real life-long learner, Karen. I think that's a real gift, and something I'm sure you try to pass on to those of your students willing to receive it. I'll bet your students are happy to be in your classes!
    No technology tool will replace the knowledge you've gained in your 38 years of hands-on experience. The technology, though, can help you share that knowledge and help the students grasp your valuable information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen

    I totally agree with you. Technology has moved past us by leaps and bounds. It is interesting to learn about what is out there and second nature to our students. We are the ones that are on the outside looking in since we have not grown up in this technological world. I applaud you for stepping up and learning what it is our students need and what will keep them engaged in your classroom.

    You go girl!!!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,
    Your title "Enlightening and Humbling" pretty much fits with where I'm at. One thinks they are aware of the uses of technology until they take an educational technology class!!!! I have learned so much these past few weeks and I know so little, but willing to learn. As I heard a short time ago, people of our generation are the "technology immigrants" whereas younger people are the "technology natives".
    We can do this as we know it will benefit our students!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete