Monday, July 12, 2010

Seven Videos Educators should watch

Well, I clicked on so many links that I'm not absolutely certain where this video originated but it sure awakened me to the deserved technology expectations of students. ( I think it is part of the TED site)

Just a comment on each of the videos...

1.) What once took a building (computer size) now is in your pocket and in 25 years will be in a red blood cell.

2.) Teachers must have relevance and understand the student's culture.

3.) The classroom vision of anyone over, lets say 40, is a lecture hall where an instructor stands way down at the bottom and talks for 40-50 minutes to sometimes well over 100 students, blah, blah, blah. Today our 20 something students in that same setting are either texting, surfing on their laptop, or sleeping(the only constant in this 19 th century vision.)

4.) Social media is ever growing and will NOT STOP. Acknowledge it and embrace it.

5.)A somewhat "comedic-like" platform about what teachers make (it's not money) that you have to witness on your own, I can't paraphrase the depth of this man's message and do it justice.

6.)Past methodologies are just that, past...we must move forward with the technology that our students utilize.

7.) repeat of the very "techno challenged" instructor that we watched on week one.

It is a good link if you can find it....sorry I got lost in the search layers.

Karen

2 comments:

  1. Great points, Karen. It can all be a bit overwhelming but yet incredibly exciting when you think of all the possibilities for future technologies, and realize that there are possibilities that we can't even contemplate yet. As a teacher, I love the idea of so many new tools to teach with. At a point in my career when I could have burned out, finding these web 2.0 technologies have refreshed, invigorated, and rejuvenated me as a teacher, and for that I'm incredibly grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it helps to remember to take new technology one or two pieces at a time so that the feeling of being overwhelmed is kept at bay. It is also important to pick up these pieces on a regular basis to avoid being totally left behind.

    ReplyDelete